Saturday, October 18, 2008

Bob Villa, I am not

Why do I do the things I do? I think that just because I have an idea that I can flawlessly pull it off and it will be perfectly done with no mistakes. Yeah, right!! The other day the toilet in mine and Nate's bathroom overflowed, not once, but twice. There is carpet in our bathroom and for the life of me, I can't understand why someone would put carpet in a bathroom. It makes no sense whatsoever. So you probably guessed that the carpet was soaked twice with toilet water. Luckily there were not surprises to speak of, just water, maybe some pee, who knows. Anyway, I tried to suck up as much water with the carpet cleaner, but the smell was sickening. After a few days it just got worse and there was no way that I was getting all the water. There was only one thing to do, pull the carpet up. This is where I obviously think that I am Bob Villa. I pulled the carpet up just fine, but the pad underneath was AWFUL!!! Gross, nasty, and soaked. So all my efforts to suck the water up with the cleaner was done for nothing. The smell that came from there was undescribable. I removed the pad and then proceeded to pull up the tack bars that held the carpet in place. There was swearing involved. If I were Bob Villa, which I'm not, I would have known that nails held the bars in place that where firmly inbedded into the concrete beneath, which I didn't. So now my bathroom walls are colored with profanities. I took no prisoners, I got the blasted tack bars up. Underneath the padding was the once new flooring that was there when the house was new, now it was all molded and scummy. This is where the old urine smell came into play. Being lightheaded and swoony was not an option, I fought through it an pressed on. We are at the concrete now and it is all clean and swept, ready for the laminate flooring. I have bitten off more than I can chew with this project. When will I learn? If it's not the dog taking the house down brick by brick, it's me!!!

No comments: